Those in the know realize the impact the October 1999 raids conducted during Operation Bullpen had on the hobby. The number of forged autograph items was astounding.
One of the key players in the forgery ring, Greg Marino, told FBI investigators that he around the clock penning fake autos. perhaps signing as many as 1 million autographs.
The end result of some of these items? A lot of them wound up in FBI files and storage rooms. Some were destroyed.
Unforunately, many came to rest in the hands of unsuspecting collectors. A lot of them are probably still sitting on shelves all over North America, their owners blissfully unaware they own a Marino, not a Mantle.
For the rest of this article, please head to SPORTS COLLECTORS DAILY.
MORE RESOURCES FOR SPORTS COLLECTORS
- Get current market values for 400,000+ baseball cards issued between ’81 & ’09
- Get the Ultimate Yankee package
- Interact with other sports collectors in Tuff Stuff’s online forum
- Sign up for your FREE email newsletter from Tuff Stuff
- Read the latest 7th Inning Stretch Blog from Tuff Stuff Editor Scott Fragale