Bill “Moose” Skowron was born on Dec. 18, 1930, in Chicago. When he was just 7 years old, his grandfather gave him a haircut that left him looking a lot like Italian dictator Benito Mussolini. His friends promptly started calling him “Mussolini” before his family eventually shortened the nickname to “Moose.” The nickname stuck.
Best known as a member of the great Yankees teams of the late-’50s and early-’60s, Skowron played for five teams over the course of a 14-year career that spanned from 1954-67. He won four World Series titles with the Yankees (1956, ’58, ’61 and ’62) and another with the Los Angeles Dodgers (1963).
SCP Auctions is proud to present “The Bill ‘Moose’ Skowron Collection” in our fast-approaching 2014 Fall Premier (Nov. 19 to Dec. 6). A total of 75 lots will be featured covering everything from his multiple World Series rings to game-used bats used for personal milestones (i.e., 1,500 career hit and his 200th career home run) to team-signed New York Yankees baseballs from the 1950s. Skowron also had an impressive collection of personalized memorabilia he received from longtime teammate Mickey Mantle, as well an assortment of single-signed “500 Home Run Club” baseballs from sluggers including Hank Aaron, Harmon Killebrew, Ernie Banks, Frank Robinson and Mantle.
The Bill “Moose” Skowron Collection Highlights
– 1956 New York Yankees World Series Championship Ring
– 1961 New York Yankees World Series Championship Ring
– 1962 New York Yankees World Series Championship Ring
– 1977 New York Yankees World Series Championship Ring
– Oct. 10, 1956, World Series Game 7 grand slam home run baseball hit by Skowron helping Yankees clinch series vs. Brooklyn Dodgers
– Signed 1952 New York Yankees player contract – first big league contract
– Skowron’s 1953 New York Yankees World Series Championship Ring – made for Skowron and gifted By Hank Bauer
– Lot of (10) Mickey Mantle single-signed OAL (Brown) baseballs
– Skowron’s Yankees Heroes in Pinstripes Ring
– Mickey Mantle autographed OAL (Brown) baseball dated 10/2/1994 and inscribed with profane message to “Moose”
– Skowron’s New York Yankees Old Timers’ Day Ring
– Skowron’s 2003 American League All-Star ring earnedaAs Chicago White Sox community relations staff
– Lot of (12) Mantle, Hank Bauer and Skowron triple-signed 8-by-10 black-and-white photos
– Lot of (12) Yogi Berra and Don Larsen dual-signed and inscribed “10/8/1956” OML (Selig) baseballs
– Pair of New York Yankee Legend multi-signed OAL (Brown) baseballs including Mantle, Maris, DiMaggio, Berra, Larsen and “Moose”
– Roger Maris, Mickey Mantle and Skowron triple-signed baseball – notated with each players’ 1961 home run total.