Collectors paid $2.3 million for more than 1,100 lots of rare sports, entertainment and historical memorabilia in the recently concluded 2014 Goldin Auctions Winter Auction. Among the highlights were a 1955-56 Jackie Robinson game-used bat selling for a $162.268 and a 1966 Mickey Mantle bat which sold for $45,720.
Four unique lots of Michael Jordan UNC memorabilia from his Chapel Hill restaurant aptly named “23″ that was uncovered at a public sale of a storage locker sold for a combined $54,422. This included a Michael Jordan UNC diploma ($20,786), Jordan recruiting letter from UNC Head Coach Dean Smith ($27,010), Jordan recruiting letter from UNC Assistant Coach Bill Guthridge ($4,733) and a copy of Jordan’s college transcript ($1,894).
In addition to the historic bats and rare Jordan items, the auction was also loaded with Super Bowl and championships rings including: a 2012 Baltimore Ravens Damien Berry Player Super Bowl Ring ($43,009); Jamie Sharper’s 2000 Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl Ring ($36,883); R.C. Owens’ SF 49ers Super Bowl XXIX ring ($38,282); a New England Patriots’ Super Bowl ring from former intern and “spygate” videographer Matt Estrella ($15,811) and Julius Erving’s final NBA All-Star Game Ring ($29,375).
“We are thrilled that our first auction that was not primarily baseball items was so well received by so many collectors around the world, as we set company records for most bids, most bidders and website hits,” said Ken Goldin, founder of Goldin Auctions. “The Robinson bat final price, being one of the two highest priced such bats ever sold and setting a record for this type of bat, was especially exciting.”
Goldin Auctions’ Opening Day Auction is slated for March 31-April 25. That will be followed by the highly anticipated Babe Ruth Centennial Auction being held in partnership with the Babe Ruth Museum in Baltimore on July 11-12. Goldin Auction is currently accepting Babe Ruth and Yankees-related items for that auction.
Here’s a look at some of the other auction results. For more details, visit www.GoldinAuctions.com:
- Lot #20: 1969 Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl IV Andy Rice Player Ring – $17,856
- Lot #19: 1958 Baltimore Colts Historic Leonard Lyles Player Championship Ring – $14,373
- Lot #3: Early 1950s Gordie Howe Detroit Red Wings game-worn jersey- $39,938
- Lot #14: Babe Ruth Single-Signed Baseball with PSA/DNA Mint 9 Signature – $30,481
- Lot #5: 1992 Michael Jordan USA Olympic Dream Team Game Used and Signed Full Uniform – $32,683
- Lot #116: – 1965-66 Roberto Clemente Game-Used Bat – $28,387
- Lot #600: 1957 Topps Football PSA Graded NM-MT 8 Near Complete Set (153/154) – $19,160
- Lot #606: 1959 Topps Baseball High Grade Set of 572 Cards – $14,864
- Lot #4: 1960s Muhammad Ali Hand Written 18-Page Draft of his Conversion to Islam for his Autobiography – $25,376.