It was a record-setting night in Cleveland at the Goldin Auctions 2018 Live & Premium Summer Auction during the National Sports Collectors Convention.
Some of the record-setting items included the highest price ever paid for: a 1933 Babe Ruth Goudey #181, a Mickey Mantle Yankees cap, a Tom Brady jersey/uniform, a 1967 Roberto Clemente card, a 1979 Steelers Super Bowl ring, and a 1914-15 Nap Lajoie bat. In all, nine items sold for more than $75,000 with two surpassing $300,000.
“Our annual event during The National is always special, but this was a truly remarkable night with great energy in the room and a flurry of bidding by our live guests as well as online and phone bidders,” said Ken Goldin, founder of Goldin Auctions. “I congratulate our winning bidders and our consignors for such a successful night.”
• 1933 Goudey #181 Babe Ruth PSA MINT 9 – One of just six examples at its tier (with only one graded higher) among more than 1,000 copies recorded in PSA’s census reporting. This piece is the first PSA MINT 9 Goudey Ruth card to be offered for public sale in more than a decade ($319,150).
• 1914-15 Nap Lajoie game used Hillerich & Bradsby 40k Model bat (PSA/DNA GU 8) – PSA/DNA, recorded that they know of only two other surviving game used Lajoie bats in existence, and unlike this one, the other two bats have blank barrels with no Lajoie signature stamping ($136,252).
• 1961 Mickey Mantle game used New York Yankees World Series cap (MEARS) – Randy Nicklas, the personal charter pilot for the Yankees and football Giants during the 1950s and ’60s was gifted this hat by Mantle after the final game of the 1961 World Series. Incudes a LOA from MEARS for the game use ($94,517).
• Historic 2008 Eli Manning game used New York Giants helmet photo matched to Super Bowl XLII on 2/3/2008 vs. New England – The helmet worn by Manning when he threw the historic “David Tyree helmet catch” pass – Manning’s iconic career highlight and the greatest play in Super Bowl history. This is highest price ever paid for any football helmet ($81,015).
• 2004 Tom Brady game used & photo matched Patriots road uniform from Super Bowl season – This is the complete uniform worn by Tom Brady. Two white strip tags with “BRADY vs. MIAMI 12/04 road” and “12-04 vs. MIAMI MNF road” are sewn in the pants and jersey. This jersey comes with a LOA from MeiGray. It’s the most ever paid for a Brady jersey/uniform ($81,015).
• 1979 Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl player ring. Highest price ever paid for this ring ($72,422).
• 1967 Topps #400 Roberto Clemente (PSA GEM MT 10; 1 of 2). Highest price ever paid for this card ($44,190).