Goldin Auctions reports its Great American Trading Card Auction, which closed Oct. 1, set more than 20 new records. The top record in the 50-lot sale is the T206 White Border Honus Wagner PSA EX 5 (MC), aka the “Jumbo Wagner,” which sold for $3.12 million— the highest price ever paid for a trading card. The previous record was $2.8 million, which was held by the “Gretzky Wagner.”
Another remarkable lot in the auction that recorded $6.7 million in total sales, is the 2006-04 Upper Deck LeBron James 1/1 Ultimate Logos Autographed Logoman Rookie PSA Mint 9, which earned $312,000, This card established a mark as both the most expensive autographed trading card ever sold and the most ever paid for a card made after 1980.
Goldin’s Great American Trading Card Auction included the sale of six cards with a PSA 10 GEM MT rating, five cards designated as 1 of 1’s and four cards recognized as 1 of 2. Twelve cards sold for more than $100,000 with eight lots surpassing $200,000 and five cards exceeding $300,000.
More auction highlights include:
- 1954 Topps #128 Hank Aaron Rookie Card PSA MINT 9 – One of just 22 examples at this tier from the nearly 4,000 graded by PSA ($312,000)
- 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle Rookie Card PSA NM +7.5 – One of just 45 examples to achieve this grade from the 1,375 graded by PSA ($300,000). Record
for this card in the grade.
- 1949 Bowman #226 Duke Snider Rookie Card PSA GEM MT 10 “1 of 1” – The highest graded example from more than 600 graded by PSA ($228,000). Record for this card and an all-time record for any card in the set.
- 1933 Goudey #106 Napoleon Lajoie PSA MINT 9 – One of just nine cards to achieve this grading with none of the 83 examples graded higher by PSA ($228,000). Most ever paid for any Lajoie card and record for this card in any grade.
- 1951 Bowman #253 Mickey Mantle Rookie Card PSA NM-MT 8 – One of the 10 highest graded cards from the 1,600 submitted to PSA for grading ($214,000). Record for this card in that grade.
- 1968 Topps #177 Nolan Ryan Rookie Card SGC 98 GEM 10 “1 of 2” – One of just two examples to reach this tier from more than 1,400 graded by SGC ($132,000). Record for the card SGC graded.
- 1915 Cracker Jack #103 Joe Jackson SGC 96 Mint 9 – This is just one of two examples at this tier with none graded higher ($108,000). Record for this card in the grade.
- 1915 Cracker Jack #30 Ty Cobb SGC 96 MINT 9 – ($103,000). Record for this card in the grade.
- 1951 Bowman #305 Willie Mays Rookie card PSA MN-MT 8 – Among the more than 1,350 of these cards graded by PSA, just 9 of Mays’ debut year cards have achieved a grade this high ($91,000). Record for this card in the grade.
- 1936 World Wide Gum #51 Joe DiMaggio Rookie Card PSA NM 7 – 1-of-1. #$46,800). Record price for the card in any grade.
The next sale at Goldin Auctions is the annual October Legends Auction which begins on Oct. 10.