(This story originally appeared on www.sportscollectorsdaily.com)
The bat that helped hasten an end to the love affair between baseball fans and Sammy Sosa–or at least half of it–is about to be sold.
Sammy Sosa breaks batNearing the end of his career, Sosa was ejected in the first inning of a game on June 3, 2003 against Tampa Bay after his bat broke and the umpiring crew discovered the cork inside.
The handle was confiscated by Major League Baseball and its whereabouts are unknown. The broken barrel was left in the clubhouse where Mike Remlinger, the Cubs’ winning pitcher that night, eventually grabbed it and took it home.
MORE RESOURCES FOR SPORTS COLLECTORS
- Get current market values for 400,000+ baseball cards issued between ’81 & ’09
- Get the Ultimate Yankee package
- Interact with other sports collectors in Tuff Stuff’s online forum
- Sign up for your FREE email newsletter from Tuff Stuff
- Read the latest 7th Inning Stretch Blog from Tuff Stuff Editor Scott Fragale