A remarkable array or historical sports artifacts is slated for the first Internet auction of 2010 conducted by SCP Auctions, an industry leader in the field of high-end sports memorabilia and cards.
Among the marquis items in the sale is the baseball hit by Alex Rodriguez for his 500th career home run. The historic orb, struck by A-Rod on August 4, 2007 at Yankee Stadium off of Kansas City Royals pitcher Kyle Davies, made Rodriguez the youngest player in major league history to hit 500 home runs and the 22nd player to reach one of baseball’s most revered milestones. The ball, representing one of the most historic home runs ever hit at the old Yankee Stadium, has been authenticated and affixed with a numbered hologram by MLB officials, and includes a detailed letter of provenance from the consigner who caught it off the bat of A-Rod.
"We are honored that SCP Auctions has been chosen to offer this historic home run ball," said David Kohler, president of SCP Auctions. "It is one of the most important home run balls of the modern era and will become even more so should ARod reach the ultimate goal of becoming baseball’s all-time Home Run King."
Also among the most prominent pieces in the sale is a Rare 1925-31 Walter Johnson Louisville Slugger Game Used Bat. The signature model bat is one of three examples know to exist that were used by the man many regard as the greatest pitcher of all-time. It is the ultimate combination of condition and rarity, having been graded GU 8 by PSA/DNA.
Additional Auction Highlights Include:
• 1877 NL Champion Boston Red Stockings Joseph Wood Studio Team Composite
• T206 Ty Cobb (bat on shoulder) NM-MT PSA 8
• T206 Sherry Magie (rare variation) VG PSA 3
• T206 John McGraw MINT PSA 9 (pop 1/4)
• 1911 John McGraw Jones Keyser and Arras cabinet card (one of 3 known)
• 1912 L1 Helmar Leather #131 Tris Speaker
• 1915 Cracker Jack #30 Ty Cobb NM-MT PSA 8
• 1933 Goudey #181 Babe Ruth NM-MT PSA 8
• 1935 Zeenut Joe DiMaggio (throwing) with tab Autographed (from Barry Halper Collection
• 1952 Topps #261 Willie Mays NM-MT PSA 8
• 1952 Topps #314 Roy Campanella NM-MT PSA 8
Memorabilia Highlights Include:
• 1923 Yankee Stadium Opening Day Press Pin
• 1923-25 Ty Cobb Louisville Slugger Game Used Bat
• 1927 Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig Autographed Barnstorming Ball
• 1932 Hank Greenberg Louisville Slugger Sidewritten Game Used Bat (MEARS A10)
• 1936 New York Yankees Signed 16×10 Photo Incl. Gehrig and DiMaggio
• Fine Babe Ruth Single Signed Baseball
• Beautiful Lou Gehrig Signed and Inscribed 8×10 Photo
• 1952 Roy Campanella Louisville Slugger World Series Game Used Bat (PSA/DNA GU 9)
• Circa 1962-65 Jim Brown Cleveland Browns Game Worn Jersey
• NBA 50 Greatest Basketball Players Legends Edition Signed Lithograph