SCP Auctions turns to hobby icons like Mickey Mantle, Honus Wagner and Joe DiMaggio to headline an upcoming auction that launches the 2009 season for the California-based auction company.
According to David Kohler, president and CEO of SCP Auctions, the sale includes a large percentage of material that is “new” to the marketplace.
“We constantly strive to bring in material that is fresh to the marketplace. Many of the sets and graded cards in this sale were only recently graded, and some of the most remarkable memorabilia pieces in this sale will be seen by collectors for the first time,” Kohler stated.
Following several successful auctions in 2008, SCP’s January 2009 Internet Auction will feature a large collection from Dr. James Rice. Dr. Rice’s passion was the collecting and building of complete sets covering virtually all the major issues from the early tobacco sets through the 1970s. Among the many highlights presented from his collection are prewar and postwar baseball sets and singles and postwar football sets.
Prewar specifics include: 1909-11 T206 near-set; 1909-11 T206 Eddie Plank; 1909-11 T206 Sherry Magie error; 1911 T205 Gold Border near-set; 1933 DeLong complete set; 1933-36 and ’38 Goudey complete sets; 1939-41 Play Ball complete sets; and a 1933 Goudey No. 101 Napoleon Lajoie.
Postwar cards from Dr. Rice include a complete run of Topps baseball sets from 1952-74, 1948-55 Bowman complete sets and many Regional sets.
The vastness of the Dr. James Rice collection is such that SCP Auctions will be offering a second portion later in 2009. Additional card highlights include circa 1908-09 Joe Jackson postcard, 1933 Goudey No. 106 Napoleon Lajoie SGC 96, 1908 E102 complete set of 29 (No. 1 on PSA’s Set Registry), 1916 M101-5 Sporting News No. 176 Jim Thorpe PSA 7, 1914 Cracker Jack Ty Cobb PSA 8 and a 1909-11 T206 Ray Demmitt (St. Louis) PSA 7.
Additional card highlights include:
- 1909-11 T206 Ty Cobb (Green Portrait) SGC 84
- 1911 Sporting Life Ty Cobb Cabinet Premium
- 1939 Play Ball Joe DiMaggio GAI 9
- 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle Rookie SGC 84
- 1958 Topps Ted Williams All-Star PSA 10 (1/1)
- 1970 Topps Football Bubba Smith PSA 10.
SCP Auctions has secured several significant new memorabilia pieces for auction, including Boston Red Sox Hall of Famer Harry Hooper’s 1916-18 game-worn road flannel, 1936-39 Mel Ott Professional Model game bat and a 1927 New York Yankees team-signed photo. Additional memorabilia highlights include a 1905-10 Miller Huggins Professional Model side-written game bat, 1921-31 Babe Ruth Louisville Slugger Professional Model game bat and a 1955 Mickey Mantle New York Yankees game-worn and signed home flannel.
Additional memorabilia highlights include:
- 1958-62 Hartland Statues complete set with 14 boxes and 15 tags
- 1954 Tour of Japan original photo and signed sheet with Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio
- Circa 1897 Cy Young cigar box with label
- Circa 1903 Honus Wagner cigar box with label
- Group of (24) 1903-08 W601 Sporting Life Team Composite prints
- Lou Gehrig single-signed ball PSA/DNA 6.5
- 1933 Who’s Who in MLB book signed by 30, including Ruth and Gehrig
- Jim Thorpe’s Track and Field Hall of Fame Induction ring.
Each of the 600-plus items will be featured in SCP Auctions full-color catalog, as well as on the SCP Auctions website at www.SCPAuctions.com.
The auction will be open to registered bidders on Jan. 13, with the conclusion of bidding to take place on Jan. 28.
Call (800) 350-2273 for more information on how to participate.