(This story originally appeared on www.sportscollectsdaily.com)
Grant DePorter, CEO of Harry Caray’s Restaurant Group, has purchased Sammy Sosa’s infamous corked bat from former Cubs pitcher Mike Remlinger for $14,407.
The auction ended short of a reserve late last week, but DePorter purchased the bat for the high bid afterward.
The final cost, after a $2,160 bidder’s commission to Schulte Auctions, totals $16,567.
Sammy Sosa breaks batThe historic bat will be placed on display at Harry Caray’s on Kinzie beginning Thursday, November 4. Sometime next week, the bat will move to the Chicago Sports Museum inside Harry Caray’s Tavern, Navy Pier alongside numerous other unique pieces of Chicago sports memorabilia.
MORE RESOURCES FOR SPORTS COLLECTORS
- Get current market values for 400,000+ baseball cards issued between ’81 & ’09
- Get the Ultimate Yankee package
- Interact with other sports collectors in Tuff Stuff’s online forum
- Sign up for your FREE email newsletter from Tuff Stuff
- Read the latest 7th Inning Stretch Blog from Tuff Stuff Editor Scott Fragale