Retired boxer Terry Norris, 47, was a four-time world champion in the Light-Middleweight (Super-Welterweight) division. His pure athletic ability was his best attribute in the ring. Pieces from Norris’ boxing collection, including numerous award and fight-worn artifacts will be part of SCP Auctions’ sale that kicks off Nov. 19.
Even though he was a star baseball player in high school in Lubbock, Texas, Norris chose to pursue a career in the ring. Standing 5’ 10” tall with a 68-inch reach, Norris turned pro in August 1986 at age 19 and fought valiantly for the next 12 years. His most memorable bout occurred on Feb. 9, 1991, when he fought against his idol, Sugar Ray Leonard. The former champ dropped to 154 pounds to fight Norris and actually entered the bout as a 3-to-1 favorite. Regardless, Norris dominated the fight and handed Leonard a serious beating. Sugar Ray went the distance but lost the 12-rounder by unanimous decision. After the verdict, Leonard announced his retirement. Norris retired seven years later with a professional record of 47-9 (31 knockouts) and was elected to the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2005.
“Terrible Terry” Norris certainly lived up to his nickname as a boxer, but outside the ring is another story. A few years ago, he and his wife, Tanya, started the Final Fight Foundation whose “mission is to serve as a catalyst for the under-served athletes in health and retirement assistance, during and after their careers.” A portion of the proceeds from his collection will go toward his foundation.
Some of the highlights from the collection include:
– Autographed WBC Light Middleweight Championship Belt held during three separate title reigns
– 2005 International Boxing Hall of Fame 10k Gold Ring with original HOF certificate
– Autographed NABF Light Middleweight Championship Belt won 12/9/1988 vs. Steve Little
– Autographed IBF Light Middleweight Championship Belt won 12/16/1995 vs. Paul Vaden
– Autographed World Boxing Council (WBC) Lifetime Achievement Award Belt
– Autographed fight-worn custom made shoes from 8/19/1995 victory vs. Luis Santana to claim third WBC Title
– Signed fight-worn gloves from 3/31/1990 WBC Light Middleweight Championship victory vs. John Mugabi – Ring Magazine “Knockout of the Year”
– 3/31/1990 WBC Super Welterweight World Champion Sterling Silver Commemorative Belt Buckle with real diamonds
– Signed and notated fight-worn gloves from 9/10/1993 victory vs. Joe Gatti – 10th straight WBC title defense
– Signed and notated fight-worn gloves from 7/13/1990 victory vs. Rene Jacquot – first WBC Title defense
– Signed and notated fight-worn gloves from 12/9/1988 NABF Light Middleweight Championship victory vs. Steve Little
– Autographed fight-worn Mizuno “Terrible” shoes from several bouts and training sessions during 1990s
Lot of (3) different autographed “Terrible Terry Norris” fight-worn cornermen jackets.
For more information on the upcoming SCP Auctions’ sale, visit www.scpauctions.com.